Making posts aka taking turns
A quick guide on posting to play
When we are not in combat the typical order of events will be:
- GM to describe location/situation. GM may also have characters do something if they feel appropriate – just accept this and play with it, arguing against it will slow us down too much.
- Each player will have the opportunity to describe their character starting to take an intended action. Please include options/dice rolls/queries as appropriate after the ‘in character’ text. Refer to this template/example for suggested character post format.
- Players waiting for others to post can have their PC’s interact with each other for fun and story/character development (where this makes sense. Don’t go on a 4 day conversation is another character is attempting to pick a lock and we are just waiting for one last player to post)
- GM will summarise the outcome of all desired character actions, add some flavour and set the scene for the next round of posting.
NB: posters who take too long to get back on board and post may have their character actions taken by the GM. Such instances will be in-line with the characters typical behaviour.
When we are in combat the typical order of events will be:
- Refer to combat map (I’ll include links) for position of all PC’s, NPC’s and enemies.
- Status of each character (hit points remaining any spell effects etc) will be tracked on character sheets and markers on the map.
- Initiative order and the round of combat preceding this round (if there is one) will be described by the GM.
- Each player to post their intended actions for the next round of combat, in-character obviously – but include relevant dice rolls if possible. Refer to this template/example for suggested combat posting format. Attempt to include scenarios, ‘If this happens I’ll do this – otherwise i’ll do something else (describe something else!)"
- GM to determine NPC actions and finalize outcomes of the round of combat. Where initiative order is important and a characters actions will no longer make sense the GM may request characters to re-post new intentions. Where possible the GM will attempt to make decisions on behalf of PC’s for the sake of keeping the game going. GM will update map and character status items (players to take over this in time…)
- Back to 1.